• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Considering a Rotary conversion, need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLrocket89

Hi everyone,

I'm getting started building a Bearhawk. For those of you who don't know, it's a 4 place STOL / "utility" airplane. I'm intending on making use of the STOL part of that.

The design can use 160HP-260HP...the 260 is actually limited by weight, not thrust. I would like to get to the upper end of that spectrum while keeping the weight resonable. Hence, a rotary has possibilities.

My original plan was to buy a Conti O-470 or a Lyc O-540 near TBO. Figure proabbly $5K for the engine, I'd do the rebuild myself, but still looking at probably $15K in it by the end. For that kind of cash, why not get something that's even better, especially if I can learn a bunch in the process?

So, what's the current "state of the art" for converting rotaries? Most of the posts I've read have been from 2003-ish talking about the "new" Renesis engine, companies that no longer exist, etc. My main research so far has been into Real World Solutions, otherwise that's about it.

A few comments:

1) I'm interested in a turbo or a supercharger for better T/O performance, not necessarily high-altitude performance (though that would be a nice "bonus").
2) I'm fine with fabircating whatever requires a welder (exhaust, engine mount, etc).
3) I could design/machine/build a PSRU, but I doubt I could do better than someone who's been working on it for a few years. Who has the most "proven" design around?
4) I'm fine with building my own setup, but does anyone out there havea completed FWF for it?

Thanks in advance!

Back