• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2 Cycle Sled Engine for Ultralight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newflyer

Hello everyone,

I have begun work on a custom built ultralight plane. I have come across a 398cc engine out of what I believe is a 72 Arctic Cat snowmobile. The engine is a model TIA400SI which should be putting out around 40hp at 6000rpm. This is my first time dealing with putting a propeller on a motor. I have a couple questions.

First off, I plan to use a belt reduction drive similar to how snowmobiles are built. I will keep the centrifugal clutch on the drive shaft and then put a pulley on a bearing on the driven shaft which will be mounted to the prop. The driven shaft will not be mounted to the motor, but rather a spot above the motor on the airframe. Is there somewhere I can buy a hub that I could mount to a pulley somehow so I can attatch the prop? If I cannot locate a suitable prop hub, I planned on manufacturing one out of 1" think aluminum and then attaching it to the driven shaft.

The belt would absorb alot of the vibrations from the prop and motor and as long as I make sure everything is lined up I shouldnt have to worry about excessive belt wear.
What do you guys think of this idea, any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Back