• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How much less efficient are rag wings than their ideal rib airfoil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

And I know about fuselage drag, interference drag, and induced drag. I'm not asking about those. I'm just asking about the inefficiency that comes from deformation of the airfoil itself. I know it depends on rag roughness, stretch, spar bending, wing loading, and much more.

I plan on using Mylar stretched over wooden ribs. The airspeed and wing loading will be low, but maybe not compared to the strength of the Mylar.

I'm just wondering if I should bother using a highly efficient airfoil, or if it will likely be distorted too much to be better than a different one. I'm also wondering how I can recognise airfoils that are somewhat immune to minor distortions.

Also, I want to know what part of the airfoil is most importat to reinforce to prevent the biggest efficiency losses. Do I need to put a tube in the very front? Maybe just the stagnation point? I'm well aware I need to have a wire or structure in the trailing edge to keep that sharp. I also know to keep the attachment points cordwise instead of spanwise. The Daedalus had a lot of foam under its skin, and I just wonder how much a difference that actually made in the wing efficiency.

Back