• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Open Fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

West

Hi everybody,
I hope there is no thread on this topic already, I did a search before but didn't find anything.
I lately just stumbled upon the open fan technology being developed by Boeing and Rolls-Royce.

Aerospace Firms Investigate Open-Fan Propulsion Technology | Defense Technology News at DefenseTalk

open%20fan%20engine.jpg

The benefits seem to be a huge increase in fuel efficiency but there doesn't seem to be very much information on this and I didn't find an answer to a few questions I have:

1. Does the open fan need a turbine directly attatched to it to work efficiently or would it also be suited to use it with a turboshaft setup or even a rotary engine?

2. I think the open fan would only be useful for high speeds and not so much for small airplanes flying at slower speeds (~200mph)?
Or would there be a way of adapting this to an airplane of this size?

3. I might be totally wrong here but the fan design somewhat reminds me of the P-51D. I'm aware that the double-rotor was used to balance the torque, but are there any other benefits to this?

reno01pm0102.JPG

Thanks in advance!
West

Back