• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

To Swage or not to Swage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monocogger

Hello All! This is my first time posting so I hope this is in the right spot. My dad and I started working on our Easy Riser, biplane glider, basket case this past weekend. It has obviously spent a lot of time out in the elements because all of the bracing steel cable thimbles and turnbuckles are all rusted. We'd like to replace them with stainless but I found a system that appeals to me. The system is by Lexco and it uses in-line swaged fittings instead of doubled-over-thimble and separate turnbuckle fittings. I'm wondering if swaged fittings are not to be used in aviation because it is difficult to see if they are failing or coming loose. My thought was to put a dab of paint at the entry of each swaged fitting and then look at the paint to make sure it wasn't cracked which would indicate a slipping cable. What are your thoughts? Click here to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Back