• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pitch control theories.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

Ok , I know I'm procrastinating, but have you ever had one of those times when you just want to think about something else?
I've been having one on and off for a few weeks now, and during this time, I have been reading and making observations.
So we know that aircraft maintain a certain degree of stability by offsetting the pitching moment with a horizontal component of lift.
We also know that in closely coupled aircraft that interference from the wing can greatly reduce the amount of force the horizontal stabilisor can deliver.
With these two principals in mind I began think about an aircraft that was both closely coupled (or relatively so) and has the horizontal stabilisers directly in line with the wings. much like the F-22.
Now it is my theory that aircraft similarly configured would not nessicarily get most of it's downward force from the horizontal, but from the angled verticals, which could quite concievably generate all of the downward moment required, allowing the horizontals to function as elevators only.
If this is so, and I hope I am on the right track, then this then leads me to a question: Would this give any significant improvement to the elevator response?
If this is so then why don't we see many people in the experimental scene incorporating this idea into a design to test it's effectiveness for GA and sport aircraft?

Back