• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

More kawasaki help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

I know y'all just love reading about all the problems I am having with a local pilots kawasaki, just thought I would see if you guys had any thoughts on the latest problem.
After the first kawasaki seized in flight it was replaced with another kawasaki, this time the stock carb and exhaust plus a fan cooling shroud was used. Prop installed is the same 60" 2 blade ivo that was used before.
During break in I had to remove pitch from the prop to achieve full power (6800rpm) this seemed odd seing as how this prop was used on the previous engine (same hp and reduction ratio) and performed well at the current pitch setting.
I flew the himax for the first time with the new kawasaki last night, full power rpm on the ground was 6200 becoming 6500-6800 in the air depending on pitch attitude.
the problem:
I would estimate that my loaded weight at takeoff was around 450lbs. at 6500rpm the ground roll was about 500ft, the only reason I decided to fly it was because I didn't have enough runway left to stop the plane. With the throttle wide open I was able to achieve a little over 100ft of altitude before turning back to the field for a downwind landing.
so my question, why would a 40hp 2 stroke with a 3:1 reduction turning a 60" 2 blade ivo prop have such trouble lifting a legal ultralight into the air?
Chris

Back