• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dyke Delta and steel tubing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starman

I'm now doing research on steel tube construction :) It's for a low AR plane, and Dan suggested using construction methods that were used in the Dyke Delta and I think that's a good idea.

I looked online and saw there was one builders log with photos, but the pictures of details of the steel tubing weren't there, there were just a few of pictures of the tubing frame, and no closeups.

If anyone here knows of a place with good pictures of the details of construction please let me know. I read that someone who is trying to join the yahoo group hasn't been let in, a common yahoo forum thing, and there appears to be no plans for sale either.

My first interest is how they make and attach the ribs to the structure. From what I saw it looks like they could be made out of rectangular steel tubes.

I prefer the idea of using square or rectangular steel tubes for the main frames because I don't like the idea of making all the end cuts needed for round tubes, not to mention the problem of making the end cut AND getting the length just right.

Any info on the delta ribs is much appreciated. Also any sites that show and talk about details of steel tube fabrication too.

I have a oxy-propane (cheaper and safer than oxy-acetylene) torch so I guess I can teach myself to gas weld, I use it for cutting steel plate and bending steel bars now. I've done a lot of heliarc in the past but don't have a heliarc welder now. I guess I could get one, and preferably it would be one with a control pedal instead of scratch start.

Attachments

• XF4me.jpg
    XF4me.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,283
Last edited:
Back