• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aiplane sale scam?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

Has anyone come across a similar situation recently? I sent a query to somebody selling a Bonanza on craigslist since it was listed at only $10,000. I thought it may have been a misprint and knowing some Bonanza aficionados, I thought I'd pass it along to them. I received this in reply from the 'vendor' and it just stinks to high heaven:

Re: Bonanza

Hello,and sorry for the delay
From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure
pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services.
We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at eBay and I have a
purchase protection account for $20,000.
The final price that I want for this airplane is 10,000$ shipping/handling
included.
If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and
address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.
The airplane is already at the shipping company in Miami,Florida sealed and ready
for the shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through
them. I'm very busy with my job and I am out of town on bussiness therefor I
can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chosed to sell my
airplane over the internet at a fair price i would say.According to eBay you have
5 days from the time you receive the airplane to inspect it and decide if you want
to keep it or not.
If you decide not to keep it you can send it back for a full refund.Here is
how it will work:

1.First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices.
The invoice will send you the details on how to make a refundable deposit.

4. After you receive the airplane you will have 5 days to test, verify and do
whatever you need with the airplane.If you will buy, then I will receive the
payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the the deposit.You have 5 days
after your receive the airplane to send the full payment or return the airplane.
5. If you will decide that you will not buy the airplane , eBay will refund the
money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my airplane If you wish to
make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can
proceed. I look forward to hear from you.
Best Regards
p.s. if you have any more questions please feel free to ask me by mail and i will be happy to answer

I wonder if anyone else had come across this kind of scam - note the awkward use of English - it sounds very much like the writer is either African or Eastern European.

Back