• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cutting fittings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Like many homebuilders, I do not own a bandsaw that travels slow enough to cut steel. Instead, I use a very acurate, but slow method: A jeweller's saw.
These come in various frame depths, with a 5" depth fitting most occaisions. The blades are about 5" long, and also come in different sizes, but here the size is the thickness of the blade and the number of teeth. A #2 blade works about right for most of the .032 to .090 thickness of 4130 steel. A higher number, such as #4, works fine for .125. DO NOT get the 2/0 blades - they are even smaller, and break more readily.
I use an ultra-fine point sharpie to mark the line on the metal - and the blades are thin enough to cut right on the line. Clamp the work so it extends over the edge of the table, and use a vertical motion of the saw frame. Just remember to only pull straight down, saves a lot of broken blades. You can cut a 90-degree angle if you keep the blade moving a bit while you make the turn - the blades are about the same thickness as the kerf.
A few quick passes with a file finishes the pieces.:)

Back