Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turner T-40A

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Turner T-40A

Gene Turner's website is still up and running, so hopefully you can still purchase a set of plans from him.

BTW, I recommend his "FAA" book, Fabulous Affairs With Aircraft and Federal Aviation Airheads, if anyone wants some entertaining, light reading. It tells the story of his development of the T-40, along with tales of (mis)adventures in the service of the FAA. One particularly interesting chapter describes how big a BOOM you can make during structural testing!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a really nice looking bright red single place open cockpit T-40 that I flew once. On the very first landing, one wing stalled and the airplane started to roll over. If the tire hadn't hit the ground an inch before the wingtip did, it would have rolled up into a ball and possibly hurt me. The only reason THAT happened is because I stalled the airplane on downwind just to see if the seller's claim ("Oh, it stalls around 60...") was true. Decelerating through 65 MPH the wing let go and the airplane rolled almost 90 degrees. So I came down final at 75, and let it get pretty low before I started to flare. Otherwise, it would have caught the tip as mentioned.

The T-40 is a classic, and a really nice looking airplane, but both myself and the friend of mine who watched all this decided that it had been designed with too aggressive of an airfoil. If he had used the NACA 23 series wing it would have been far more well mannered. Sort of a wooden RV-3.

Anyone who builds a T-40, my advice is to work with a properly trained aero guy and see if it is possible to slightly recontour the airfoil for a little better low speed behavior.
    "Everything in this book may be wrong."
    Richard Bach, Illusions

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember reading in the Sport Aviation archives that one of the reasons that the Fly Baby won the EAA Design Contest over the T-40 was that the judges felt that it was better suited to lower-time pilots, without elaborating on the basis for that opinion. Substitute a Riblett airfoil?