• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rivets in ceconite wing covering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robby

'K - here's the issue/problem

Am in the process of removing old ceconite from wings with ribs made from foam ( styrofoam actually !! ) with aluminum caps and in some cases aluminum sides.

The original cover was riveted to the caps and then the rivet heads were covered with ceconite tape.
I can remove the covering but if I drill out the rivets, the head comes off but there is no way to get the 'pin' of the rivet out without enlarging the holes!!!

Best solution ??
Leave the 'pin' in and just push it in a bit deeper into the foam with the the new rivet ??
Enlarge the hole ?? ( I don't like that one at all !! )
Leave the old rivets in place, do not rivet new covering
to the ribs ? ( going to look 'bumpy' ) :ermm:
Remove the heads of the old rivets and do not rivet new covering to the ribs ( smoother than the above idea !! )
or
???

I'd love some ideas or suggestions before I get seriously started on this.

Thanks.

Back