• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My < $100 Hamburger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle

Since my pilot is in Afghanistan and we only own some airplane “parts” and not a whole airplane (yet), my $100 Hamburger tale begins with loading my kids and a good friend into my minivan and setting a course for Wings-N-Wheels hosted at the Lowcountry Regional Airport, Walterboro, SC.
After the 1 ½ hour drive from our home in Pooler, GA, we arrived at the small town airport and immediately felt welcomed by the festive atmosphere. Since I was traveling with children, our top priority was lunch :grin:. We had awesome grilled burgers and hot dogs from one of the vendors set up near the airport office. I was really impressed by the prices ($17 to feed 3 people!) and my 11 year old son proclaimed it was the best hot dog he has ever eaten! We enjoyed our lunch under the shade of a carport style structure set up to give guests a reprieve from the blazing SC sun and listened to the music streaming over the speakers.
Once our meal turned my gremlins back into my children, we were able to peruse all the aircraft on display. My son drooled over the Piper Cub and the beautifully done Pietenpol Air Camper. He made it known that these were “his style” of flying machines :) I, being the ever practical mother of two, took my time looking over the Stinson 108-1 owned by a very nice couple, Baylor & Kathy. They took the time to answer my questions about their aircraft and had nothing but great things to say about the Stinson for use as a family hauler. My son later made it clear that he thought the Stinson was like a minivan and the Pipe Cub and Pietenpol were like cool cars :)
We also spent some time looking over a beautiful Stearman Biplane where my 9 year old daughter asked the owner if he had built it himself or bought it. He told us he had purchased it about 4 years ago and with a one syllable “oh”, my daughter managed to imply her distain for the idea of taking the easy route. Then she asked if he painted it himself which he had not, and lastly she asked if he at least PICKED the colors... Yes, my young daughter seems to be a homebuilder at heart, for which I hold my husband fully responsible; though for some reason I think he would be happy to take the credit for that.:ban:
In addition to all the aircraft on display, there were also dozens of hot rods and classic cars available for our viewing pleasure. We enjoyed checking out this buffet of machinery as we ate our Hawaiian Ice and wrapped up or visit.
I would have to rate the Wings-N-Wheels event as a family outing worth repeating. It was really fun and had a nice variety of aircraft and automobiles on display. The food was good and affordable and the volunteers were all very friendly. This is only the second year it has taken place and I think it will continue to grow and improve every year they continue to have it.
http://www.wings-n-wheels.org/Wings-N-Wheels/Welcome.html

Back