• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Planning to build an experimental PA-18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P Fedorka

Hi Fellers,

I'm planning to build an experimental PA-18. I have a number of the original Piper drawings so I could actually build an 18 clone if I wanted to.

However, I'd like to modify the fuselage to make it a full truss instead of a smaller truss with the sheet metal turtle deck arches. I would think this would make a stronger fuselage structure without adding too much weight.

I've come up with a design to do this but I really don't want to have to spend the money to have an engineer do a detailed stress analysis on the design to satisify safety and the FAA. I'm assuming that in a case like this that the DAR that performs the certification inspection would want to see that there had been at least some engineering done on the design.

I know a few years ago someone had gone through the process of certifying a cub fuselage that incorporated this change, but it never went into full scale production.

Has anyone ever seen plans for building an 18 fuselage like this?

Back