• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is this true of propeller sizes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

Is my guestimation true: That while a bigger propeller gets much more static thrust than a small one, the big ones thrust drops off much more quickly as airplane speed increases?

I would think if two engines have the same power, but different sized props, maybe the thrust of the small prop would go from 100 pounds to 80 at cruise speed, but the big prop would go from 200 to 90, or something like that.

This is because the speed of the incoming air is smaller compared to how much the prop accelerates the air.

So I'm just wondering how much of an advantage a bigger prop would actually have for a 20 hp engine at 60 mph. Say, 36" vs 48" or 60".

Back