• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bolted steel tubed fuselage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac790

I've seen many bolted/riveted aluminum fuselages, and it doesn't surprised me at all. Everybody with a little knowledge about alloys, knows why it's better/easier to bolt aluminum fuselage rather than try to weld it.

But I was doing a little bit research about steel fuselages, and I found a Hawker Hurricane steel fuselage, it's bolted fuselage (pic1,2), I said ok I can understand it, this plane took off (if I remember correctly) for the first time in 1935, but I was a little bit surprised when I saw a Hawker Tempest fuselage pic3,4. The front section is build from steel tubes, the rear section is aluminum monocoque, of course the front steel tubed section is bolted again.

Probably they decided to use this method because they were familiar with it (they designed Hurricane a couple of years earlier), but I'm still surprised about it, there were other planes with steel fuselages like Yak's family but those planes had welded fuselages.

I was thinking about a potential advantages of this method, simpler manufacturing (questionable), easier maintenance (maybe), no problem with alloy changing properties? (I don't know proper English term for it) due to the heat/welding.

Any opinions about it?

Seb

Attachments

• 0811013_2.jpg
    0811013_2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 11-08-07_1552.jpg
    11-08-07_1552.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Tempest.jpg
    Tempest.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,045