• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Welded aluminum wings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
In looking at various ideas, I realize that almost all of my designs end up with wing skin thickness decided by minimum gauge rather than strength. I really like the Chris Heintz reaction to this issue -- use 6061 aluminum instead of 2024; it's cheaper, easier to work, and less corrosion sensitive. It's not as strong, but if you're gauge limited that doesn't matter.

But how about going one step further? All the advantages 6061 has over 2024, 5052 has more so. Cheaper still, easier to work, good enough for building salt water boats... and it's weldable, and doesn't need to be heat treated.

Question 1: Is designing around 5052 sane, or is there something I'm missing?

Question 2: If designing around 5052, is there any reason /not/ to take advantage of weldability? Fully welded, polished wings are tempting...

Back