• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I really need your help guys..........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopher

Ok, I am getting ready to start on my osprey2. This is a great little airplane that has only one little flaw. You have to touch down on the water at 70 MPH! The reason for that is it has no flaps. The lake renegade weighs 1600lbs more, and has a wing loading 9lbs/sq.ft. higher, and lands 20 mph SLOWER. I have been told that the lake makes quite a racket hitting the water at that speed, so it must be a real beating on that little wooden osprey. I can install flaps easy enough, but have been told that the water would tear tham up. My arguement is that they would not have to go down any more than needed. That is, if I got 10 or 15 deg, and kept from getting them in the water it would lend some benefit and slow the terminal speed this thing wants to touch down at. There is no doubt in my mind that I can build them and the structure strong enough to handle the little water it may encounter (carbonfiber/balsa sandwich), but I want some advice from a few of you out there that are far more experienced than I. No one has even attempted to help in my discussion group, so I am hoping you guys will.

Happy Landings,
Christopher

Back