• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

In need of professional help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calamity Jane

Ya wouldn't believe how often people have told me that! ;)

As I said over in Introductions, I have started playing with the idea (again) of a 1:1 replica of the DeHavilland DH-60 Gipsy Moth. (Convenient, isn't it, that I just happen to have a set of original drawings from 1928 :D )

Some specs from the original 85 HP DH-60M are as follows: wing span (upper & lower): 30'0", wing upper area: 125 sq. ft., wing lower area: 118 sq. ft., gross wt.: 1,650 lbs, Cruise speed: 85, Landing speed: 40, Stall speed: 40, Climb: 700 fpm (sea level)

What I have in mind is a LOM M-130AK engine (130 HP injected), metal spars, metal ribs, 4130 instead of mild steel tubes, ailerons added to the upper wing (to improve roll), and eliminating the folding-wings.

The original Moth used a really crappy British airfoil (no offense ment to any Brits on the Board) and I need to select a better airfoil.

Since I want to keep the appearence of the original, the span and aspect ration are fixed. With 240 sq. ft. of wing, it shouldn't be hard to keep the stall speed low but I'd sure like to make better use of the 130 HP and get the cruise speed up as much as possible, which means keeping the drag down.

I'm a bit out of date with airfoils. Since it's been over 25 years since I have done any design, even my books are OLD :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen any good (reputable) info out there on the Net on airfoil selection?

This is probably the most important decission in the design and I sure don't want to select the wrong airfoil!

Thanks gang!

Calamity (who don't got nuthin a'gin Brits, HONEST!) Jane

Back