• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

4-stroking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacha

I have a Solo 210 cc 1 cilinder engine on a test stand it has the original redrive and prop configuration and the engine is in very good condition. It is supposed to propell a Nomad ultralight.

I am trying to get it running at max RPM but it won't get there. After initially setting the ignition at the right time (I believe), it ran well stationary, but at higher RPM's it started to sound like a 4 stroke (in my language I call it 4-stroking...), like it only comes to a combustion every other time the piston comes up, lots of smoke coming out. So I put in a smaller jet (less fuel) and things got better. Now It runs like a 2 stroke also when at full throttle, and it does not smoke BUT it won't rev maximum RPM. Guess it runs at 3500+ rpm but it should be a lot more. I could put in an even smaller jet, but with this one it doesn't run smooth stationary anymore, so I guess when I make it smaller this will get worse.
I wonder why it won't give the power I am asking, maybe I should set the ignition earlier, or later. I tried to put it a bit later but then it wouldn't run at all. I can not put it earlier because the ground plate can not be moved further in that direction. This makes me wonder what to do.
Maybe my prop is just too big, but I think not....

Any suggestions? I would like to get airborne sometime...safe!

Back