• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

EGT question 2si 460 F-40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconx

I just bought a Minimax 1100R with a 2si 460 F-40 2 cycle engine on it. The owners say the engine was bored out by the 2si factory an additional .002 to keep from having the problems 2si's are noted for. Melting down. It has 30 hours on it since the work, so looks like it is good to go.

I am having to do some work to get it to where it needs to be before flying it. I replaced some cracked fuel lines, replaced the carb per a Service Bulletin and put a new digital tach on it. Turtle decks & Painting next.

Problem: When I run it up static, the EGT seems to want to go above the red line (1200F) starting at about 3500 rpm, sooner if I rap on the trottle quickly. I can back off and VERY slowly get it up to 4800 rpm without exceeding the EGT but it is a chore to get there and the EGT is up close to the red line the whole time. Should run up to 6000 in flight cruise and red line at 6500. Max HP of 40 at 6250 rpm.

Running a 2.65:1 gear reduction, 60 x 36 wood prop. Correct fuel/oil mixture of 50:1 and 93 octane fuel. No problem with CHT during entire range.

What am I looking at here. Is there a Lean mixture problem?

thanks in advance for your responses

falconx

Back