• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wooden landing gear test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwestJack

Well i finally managed to test my wooden landing gear. it seemed to handle 3G's without any problem so I probably overdesigned it.
This unfortunately made it about 8 lbs. heavier than an aluminum landing gear of similar strenght.
You can see my test rig in the following pictures. I used the garage door opening and hung a 4x6 beamfrom the top. I hung 4 buckets from the far end of the beam, and each bucket had 60 lbs. of gravel in it. the post going down to the landing gear was at 12 inches so there was a 1 to 12 lever advantage , giving a total force down of 2900 lbs.
On the plus side: it has a streamlined shape of a NACA 0012 profile, so it should have a lot less drag than the aluminum. The other benefit is that because of its width it will be very easy to bolt to the bottom of my fuselage, and will also resist any twisting backwards.
The landing gear was laminated from hundreds of 3/16 by 3/4 Douglas fir pieces and glued and brad nailed( as a way fo clamping it) to a 1/4 inch plywood form which was sandwiched inbetween and basically became the core. By the way I did use GORRILLA GLUE!! , and no it did not come apart.:nervous:
If I had to do it over I would try to mayby use a balsa wood core to save weight.
the dimensions of the landing gear are :
2 inches thick at the nose
16 inches wide at the widest and 6 inches at the wheels.
Wheel to wheel 8 ft.
Fuselage width is 2 ft.
Jacq

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,805
Back