• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bing Carbs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

I have two Bing 54s on my engine. I confess to knowing nothing about them, beyond what the manual shows. (Ask me something about the Minsk motorcycle carb instead....)

I had a Bing on a 503 on a Drifter in Australia and never gave it much thought, it just seemed to work fine.

Since they are very widely used, I assume they are basically decent carbs, but I have only ever seen one instance of mixture control being fitted to one (Arrow Aircraft make a kit). It would seem to me more of a necessity than a luxury - has anyone had experience with this?
Especially in place where temperatures change from 35 to 75 in a day and that has mountainous terrain everywhere. Not to mention the economy factor.

Also, I have never never seen a hot air box on these type of engines or carbs. One reason given to me was the physical construction of these carbs - they don't have a butterfly valve and supposedly are less prone to icing and if they do, it can be dislodged by cycling the throttle. Hmm.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever experienced icing on a Bing carb?

Back