• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Templet routing for duplicates and templets jigs and fixtures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust

When i started building two cozies we very carefully cut out the bulkheads, we traced the print onto tracing paper and meticulously cut and sanded the bulkheads to size.

when we finished them i set one down onto another and, THEY DIDN'T MATCH. I wasn't happy, i found a problem the normal builder wouldn't because i had two of everything and could stack them and see that they didn't match.

from that point on i used standard woodworking router practices.

first i took tracing paper and traced the part

then i glued, with spray drafting adhesive, this to 1/4 luan plywood, cheep and uniform

i could then cut/drill/sand templet very easily to get the exact shape i was looking for

i then double sided carpet taped the templet(the white thick kind, not the clear thin kind, to the laid up oversized part, trimed with a 1/2 IN bushing and a 1/4 inch solid carbide spiral tip but. Then i flush cut with a top bearing bit and whalla a perfect part.

the reason for the two passes is quite simple, the spiral bit stays sharp for a loooooong time, the straight flush cut bit doesn't. you can not get a 1/4 spiral bit with a flush cut bearing attached.

We have used both bits for two planes and they are still going strong, well the spiral is pretty chewed up, it didn't like the aluminum dave fed to it.

this technique can be used to make many of one item, for example we had to make holding jigs for the canard, i believe 8 or ten. well make one perfect and then use a band saw or a jig saw to rough cut next piece and then double stick tape the two togewther and use a router table to make as many dups as you want, i'v even used the same tape for up to 10 pieces. Do not clamp the parts together. my partner did this once and it took me 1/2 hour to seperate them.

You can even make smaller item from a templet, just make a duplicate and then use a rabbit bit to make the dup the amount smaller by the rabbit cuts, first dup, then rabbit cut, then flush cut and whalla if you had a rabbit bit that cut 1/4 inch rabbit your pattern or jig or whatever is now exactly that much smaller in all directions.

enjoy the build

dust

enjoy the build

dust

Back