• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2 (long) stroke no reduction gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacha

I am interested in the SD-1 Minisport, it is a small light 1 seat plane in many ways very similar to the PIC-26. The prototype flies with a Trabant 2 stroke engine (2 cilinder 630 cc) in a direct drive configuration. Something of which I thought it could not be done, but I found in this Forum that Mark Stull tried it as well with a Mz 201 I believe.
The ploblem with 2 stroke engines is torque at the lower Rpm range where a 4 stroke performs a lot better. This is why we use reduction gears, but they add complexity and weight.

Here comes my question.... Is it possible in theory to build a 2 stroke engine with a LONGER stroke than square. The cilinder pushes a longer crank and travels a longer distance reducing the max Rpm but also optimizing the max torque in the 3000 Rpm range. This way we would not need the reduction gears and save money and weight.

There are probably many reasons why this cant be done with some significant drawbacks, so it would be nice to read what those are.

The sound of a 2 stroke in direct drive at 3000 Rpm is a lot better than one running at 6000 with reduction drive! Look at Youtube "SD-1 minisport" .

Sacha Knoop

Back