• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Some materials questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis1990

Is it cheaper to build with wood? I bought plans for an Ultracruiser because I love the idea of an all metal ultralight and I do plan on building the plane reguardless someday, but there has to be a cheaper alternative. I have been looking at the ragwings RW5 and RW6. On the website they claim a total cost of about $2200. Do they buy aircraft wood locally. Also, could one theoretically use wood from a place like lowes. I've seen some high quality wood there (some type of pine) it seemed very lightweight, strong, free of knots, and cut straight. The only downfall is the selection. What dimesions of wood would I need for the ragwings.

Back