• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How thick must this wooden dowel be to handle this torque?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

I'm working with basswood, which has a compression yeild stength of 4400 psi, tensile of 8400 psi, and not sure the shear, but guessing 4000 psi. Those are parallel to the grain. I want to use a dowel as a drive shaft. One must be 4 feet long and handle at least 80 foot pounds of torque, and the other 6 feet long and handle 20 foot pounds of torque.

I'm wondering if a 1" dowel would be strong enough for the first, and a half inch for the second. I'm ok at calculating truss strength and bends, but I'm not sure how to apply the torque thing. I know that circularly, some of the force is parallel and some perpendicular to the grain. I think perpendicular those shear strengths and tensiles drop to 250-400 psi.

I can attach some thick arms to the side of a short dowl and see how much torque it can take, but I'd like a ball park figure before I try 3 different sizes. Thanks in advance.

Back