• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hirth 3503E

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyerppc

Anyone had problems with Hirth Engines? apart from spark plug threads stripping!!!!!!!
Just clocked 49hrs Hirth 3503E 70hp EFI flying my PPC accross a joinng farm at 700ft heard a crunch the engine slowed another crunch and she stopped. Landed just short of a fence, could see that something had broken and gone through the gear box housing, damaged one prop blade as well. Had the PPC home disconected the gear box housing, gosh it was a mess the coupling bolts had sheared off and gone through the bottom of the seperation plate, also the damper coupling had melted. Contacted Hirth to get an answer, oh we are very sorry can help with parts to repair free of charge but you pay the freight. I guess cannot argue but this is a fault that nearly cost my life. Reported to Hirth the gear box heating up and leaking oil at the prop shaft seal when done only 24hrs. This was ignored, I changed all the bearings and seals attaching a breather valve on top, that worked perfect no leaks after that, but did notice the rubber damper out of shape.
Hence warning to all Hirth owners, check your gearbox to motor damper coupling if out of shape replace, replace do not take a chance, this is a design fault in my books, hirth should take a good look at the rotax fool proof design.

Back