• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Glide-ratio and Engine out scene.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviterande

Hi everyone, I have been wondering about the case when an engine cuts out. Let us assume that an airplane loses engine power at a good medium altitude. the thing that makes me scratch my head is what really is BEST in only this situation, a very good gliding ratio or an as steep "parachute-kind-of" descent capable aircraft?

Certainly each way seems to have the good and bad sides. A high A.R plane can glide its way to a good landing area and that is really a very nice feautre right? On the other hand, a low A.R plane will get down to earth at a much higher angle (slow non the less) i.e , a low AR airplane will only cut a small distance before it reaches the ground and thereby "may" miss a sweet spot to land in.

so imagine a scene where you happened to be over a forest or a city. many would say that the steeper the decsent is the better the airplane is as you need NOT a big space or ground to fly/land in.

So ,

Gliding planes need distance to fly, but are excelent in engine -out since you have enough time "glide-guide" yourself before you reach the ground.
Steep descent airplanes are said to be good cuz they land in a much smaller area. But, if an engine quit you will not glide long and finding a landing- area is harder? but what about the short steep landing capabilities?

reagrds
Kalle

Back