• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Possible FAR 103 weight increase request?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hart Aero

Hi Folks,

A random thought, with a realistic reason for FAR 103 max empty weight increase.

Currently, max empty weight per far 103 is 254 lbs.

All performance calculations are based off the OLD 170 pound "standard" pilot weight.

We all KNOW that average is too low.... I haven't weighed 180 for a looooongggg time.

A few years ago when I was working with the airlines, standard passenger weight was increased from 170 to 180 (maybe a little more..I'll have to check my facts)... spurred by a fatal Beech 1900C crash in the South Carolina.

My thinking and reasoning is that if we can establish a NEW Average Ultralight pilot weight, we could also establish a new max empty weight for required airframe structure.

I believe a request for performance calculations to be based off a 180 lbs pilot (a 5.6% increase) could justify an increase in max empty weight of the airframe from 254 lbs to 268 lbs (again 5.6%).

An extra 14 lbs for structure could do amazing things!

I know this isn't very much, BUT it would be enough to get quite a few aircraft already out there in compliance.... AND possibly inspire some new designs.

I believe it would be quite difficult and time consuming to try and establish a higher average weight than 180 lbs for UL pilots, BUT a request to get FAR 103 average pilot weight in line with other FAR's along with a proportionate empty weight increase should be possible.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this proposed request?

Sincerely,
Doug Hart

Back