• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Would turbulence destroy this plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

I want to build a high wing, 3 axis ultra light, with tricycle undercarriage, and propeller behend the wing.

I need your guestimation of if the wings might fold on me at 5,000 in a sudden 50 mph cross wind or up wind.

It would be made of 1" aluminum tubing that has 1mm thick walls (0.04 inch), gi-wires, king post, braces going from tricycle to mid wing. The wing would be 5'x5' square sections of tubing, gi-wires corner to corner, and ribs inside, with fabric pulled taught over that and screwed on in places.

I know it really depends on the construction and tention of the wires and such. Does it sound like a dangerous plane at that altitude and unpredictable winds?

Back