• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sans rib stitching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidb

Preamble. Forgive me for starting a new thread on fabric cements and rib stitching. I have read through the many threads scattered about in this forum. Rather than changing the direction of those threads with my questions, I think it best to start my own thread--but yes I have researched this forum and other sources in arriving at my choices as discussed in the following:

I am covering my wood structure with uncertified polyester fabric, StuartSystems Ekobond fabric cement, and sealing/uv blocking/painting with latex paint. My "system" is inexpensive and light but it is ugly and has questionable durability--nuff said on that.

BTW, I am very impressed with the characteristics of Ekobond but can't compare it to other cement.

My questions/thoughts concern rib stitching or lack of it in my case. I've capped my ribs with 3/4 inch wide thin plywood and will bond the fabric to each rib cap with the Ekobond cement. I am making a test rib that I will use to test/demonstrate the fabric bond strength. I believe the bond will prove quite strong but my concern doesn't stop there. With traditional rib stitching, does the tape under the stitching serve only to prevent the thread from tearing the fabric? Seems it would also strengthen the fabic between stitches and that might be important as well. If the bond between the wood caps and the fabric proves strong enough, then I'm thinking a tape over the fabric at each rib would still add a needed strength/resistance to tearing.?

For testing, I will measure the pounds per square inch it takes for separation or tearing. What would be an acceptable minimum force before failure? I think that value depends on airspeed, wing loading, prop wash, etc. but I don't know how to figure that out. My wing is 120 sq. ft., 1000 lb GW, and Vne is 100 mph and will be operated well within the normal catagory. Is there a ballpark figure with a 2x safety margin? I understand if nobody wants to give me a value that I might kill myself with...but maybe a simplified way to figure it out...?

Questions, comments and answers? I get the feeling I may hear crickets with this one.:)

Back