• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ladder Type Wing Construction.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildun

Many of these lighter aircraft have wings of ladder type construction and seemingly rely on the fabric covering to take tension loading, - am I right?
I would like to know how safe this is, in comparison to built up wings with proper cantilevered beam construction.
Would it be better for me to look for something like the Legal Eagle type wing, (which obviously takes a lot more work)?

There are a few different models which I looked at, - another being the "Chuckbird" or "Texas Parasol" - but the ladder type wing construction again puts me off!

Talking about the Texas Parasol, there seems to have been a lot of controversy over the construction of some of the parts, - has this finally been resolved?
- I must say though that I do like the fuselage construction on the Chuckbird!

Maybe a Legal Eagle wing and a Chuckbird fuselage?....I wonder .....

Any comments are more than welcome, I need someone to point me in the right direction!

Last edited:
Back