• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stits repair (grrr....)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today was one of those AAAARGH.... days. Stopped at the airport to put the wheel back on my plane after putting in a tire tube, and fly if possible... I guess it was too breezy, after lifting the gear up and putting it on a block to put the wheel back on, the breeze took it and knocked it back off the block, The folded wing jumped off the folding support and the support ripped an 8" tear in the upper wing fabric , running straight back from just aft of the leading edge.

Anyway... it's Poly-Fiber. My understanding is that one generally just cements a patch over the damage,, heat shrunk tight, followed by poly-brush, poly-spray, and poly-tone. But wouldn't the ripped edges curl up underneath the patch?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do it like a Ceconite repair, baseball stitching the rip together, then apply the patch with the poly-brush, followed by the poly-spray and poly-tone? I have heard people talk of doing it that way, but it's not mentioned on the poly-fiber website.

-Dana

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."-- Abraham Lincoln

Back