• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Modulus of Rupture?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoomZoom

Ouch, I think I just ruptured my modulus. Just kidding, but I do have a rather general question regarding this data type, and if its been covered before forgive me, but I did look a bit, and did not find my question answered anywhere. So, Seeing as I know how to find this piece of data: "The Modulus of Rupture for a particular piece of wood to be used for a wing spar", how do I know if its acceptable? First I'm assuming there is a list somewhere of figures for different woods, Spruce/Fir...etc that show what aircraft grade moduli SHOULD be for aircraft wood. If there is....does anyone have it handy? So for instance you could test your piece and compare the numbers to see if its results are the same.

Secondly...and a bit more specific to builders, say you have a piece of wood for a spar and test it to destruction to obtain the MoR. But you are using a piece a certain shape or dimension that you think is suited to your particular airframe. How do you determine what the MoR should be for your particular design. Fundamentally here I'm thinking its going to revolve around the overall weight of the aircraft and how many G's it will have to withstand and somehow that number will convert into what the MoR need to be to support that. Is my thinking correct?....and how is that magic number (what the MOR should be for your plane weight/size etc...) determined?

ZZ.

Back