• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Red Oxide Dopes and Fabric glues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_r

Hi All,

I must admit I am not a homebuilder - per say, but I do build extra large (12-25ft span!) RC models which utilise many of the same techniques and materials used in the homebuild industry. I have two questions regarding dopes and fabric coverings.

To help you understand what I am trying to achieve, I am building a model of a 1930's experimental aircraft. The Miles M39b was very much a 'homebuild' of the day, built at the back of the Company workshop by a small team of craftsmen from whatever was laying around! It (and my model) were/are built primarily from plywood interspersed with balsa and spruce, which was then fabric covered, doped and painted.

While searching through some of the Homebuild suppliers' websites I ended up with a few questions.....

1) Could someone please explain what Nitrate Red Oxide Dope is used for? Why use this over standard Nitrate Dope?

2) I need to cover a sheeted area in Diatex (1000), which will have a few coats of Standard Nitrate (semi-tautening) dope and then painted in dark camoflage colours, what is the best preparation to ply sheeted areas to stop air bubbles appearing during the midday sun?

3) Is Nitrate Dope the best choice or should I consider Butyrate. And then how many coats (thinned?) to stop the problem above?

Here's hoping someone can enlighten me!!

Thankyou,

Steve

Back