• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cold molded airframe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notorioustinman

Hello fellow aviators. I am a wooden boat builder by profession, and by thus finance my addiction for homebuilt aircraft. This brings me to my first topic of discussion for which I'd like to receive feedback from those willing to participate. Has there been, to anyone's knowledge, an attempt to construct an airframe using cold molded technology? This is a process by which thin plywood strips are laminated on a 45 degree bias over longitudinaly tied molds, or bulkheads using epoxy glues and fillets for all jointing materials and fiberglass cloth for strength and rigidity. This allows compound curving of hull skins that would otherwise be quite difficult due to plywoods natural resistance to curve multiple directions within a single plane.
I have successfully built kayaks with this method, and could not help but observe the similarities to an airframe. I have also built a couple "box frame" fuselage's that subsequently required foam or composite lay-up to create dramatic curves in the finished product. In marine applications, a vessel built with cold molding has incredible weight advantages over a conventional plank over frame built vessel of the same displacement.
The aeronautical possibilities of this method have haunted my dreams for years now, and forced me to finally take action. From original NAA P-51B designs I am making plan modifications from which I will test my theories.
To this end, I am interested in hearing anyones thoughts, suggestions, or opinions.

Back