• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

cedar strip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryC

This may sound crazy...but anyone wanting to build a wood airplane must be crazy to begin with...so here goes. :ban:

Has anyone used the cedar strip canoe technique for the fuselage of an airplane before? I recently completed a 16 foot stripper canoe and have had it over rocks and under tree limbs without a dent or crack. It is extremely strong and light weight. about 55 lbs total. The benefits of cedar strip is that you can bend them easily whereas plywood is quite limited. (not too many straight lines on a canoe!) Once the strips are glassed on both sides it is stronger than aluminum and maybe even lighter. (and a **** sight prettier)

For my next project I want to tackle an airplane. I just don't know if it is feasible.

It just doesn't seem to make sense to build a frame out of dimension lumber, then add plywood and or foam, then cover it with cloth or glass, when you could glue up the strips, glass em and be done....with adequate plywood bulkheads of course.

Anyone out there with experience in this technique or with thoughts on the subject?

Back