• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Renegade-Little Toot "Hybrid" Design. Please Critique.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hello All;

I'm interested in building the Murphy Renegade Spirit. I like the construction methods, materials, and overall strength of the airframe, (+10, -6) and the fact that it's a two-seater. However, I've never liked the look of the nose. The fake radial cowling doesn't work for me. It looks stubby and lame, and it just doesn't inspire me at all. Nor does the tail, in terms of asthetics. Your opinion may vary, and Daryl Murphy has sold around 700 of these kits. (see picture 1) In some cases this qualifies as an ultralight, or Experimental in other cases. Despite being a tail-dragger, this feels like a beginner aircraft (with the right training) and my 50 meager hours of ultralight experience will be better than nothing. I know I'm no Chuck Yeager.

Picture 2 is a Meyer's Little Toot, first offered in the 1950's, and personally I love the look of this aircraft. The nose is awesome, and so is the rest of the airframe. It uses an engine and construction method that I'd like to avoid, based on cost, complexity, fuel consumption, stall speed, weight, etc. I don't feel that it's a "beginner" aircraft. Plus, I absolutely have to make it a two-seater to justify this project. No debate there for me.

So I have worked on creating a hybrid. Simple construction of the Renegade, with the general look of the Toot. I also have made every effort to leave the Renegade's airframe alone where possible, although adding a heavier 0-200 engine in place of the Rotax 912 will have it's drawbacks. Airframe strengthening will be needed in places, and this has been done in the past.

For now, I have just worked on the concept. The wings and fuselage have not changed at all from the original Renegade, other than possible seat placement moving rearward. The set of used plans that I have are from 1987, and Murphy has made changes to the seat placement throughout the evolution of the Renegade, and frankly, I'm not sure how far the seats have been pushed aftward to date. This was typically done to accommodate heavier engines, such as the 0-200 or the Rotec 2800. So I'm not the first guy who has used the Continental, in fact, I've had long chats with 3 guys who have used this engine, and they all liked the results and performance.

The tail surfaces have clearly been changed in shape, although I've tried to retain roughly the same area and hopefully, overall flight characteristics.

Picture 3 and 4 are the results of my tinkering so far. I like the nose and tail now. The gear has been lengthened, largely at the suggestion of a British designer, Lynn Williams, who has helped me tremendously. Harder to see on the ground, but more aerodynamic braking when landing. Everything's a trade-off.

So if you're game, please critique or comment on the concept. Everything is welcome and I wish to learn from this and use ideas where needed. Also, although I have NO desire to market this, there is the issue of informing Tommy Meyer, who now runs the Toot business in his father's place. Copying happens, and as long as there are no money-making plans in place, I don't think I am infringing upon copyrights of any kind. But out of respect, would you inform the guy who owns the Meyer Toot line, if you were doing this hybrid? I have to admit that my alterations have really been inspired by the look of the Toot nose, especially the "bug eyes" and shark-mouth air intake. I think the whole cowling looks incredible.

There is much to do yet. Balance concerns, some calc's on stress with the heavier engine, etc., strengthening the gear and other areas to take the higher weight. But this is it so far.

Feel free to comment on technical concerns or the look of the aircraft. I wish I could do a decent 3D rendering, but I just don't have the computer skills.

Thanks for any feedback. Tom, Ottawa Canada.

Attachments

• Renegade good side view 04 Small File.jpg
    Renegade good side view 04 Small File.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 910
  • Little Toot-6 Small File.jpg
    Little Toot-6 Small File.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,807
  • Renegade - Toot Side View Small.jpg
    Renegade - Toot Side View Small.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,827
  • Renegade - Toot Top View Small.jpg
    Renegade - Toot Top View Small.jpg