• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

RELATIVE HUMIDITY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWOLABS

how much or lack of humidity does one want in their workspace when building wood components. i was planning on starting to build some smaller pieces, ie. wing ribs, tail section over the winter in my basement. i can't build the entire plane down there, because i wouldn't be able to get it out. but my basement, like most basements have a fair amount of moisture in them, unless you are running dehumidifier down there. i assume one doesn't want to much drying of the wood to occur prior to sealing the wood. but is to much moisture going to affect the wood with possible warping or the glue not adhearing properly. i haven't started building yet, but i wanted to get a game plan together before i started buying materials and assembling.
i have a 28 x 32 garage that i will be doing to the final assembly in, but it is not heated, so that is why i figured the climate controlled environment of the house would be the best option for the smaller component construction.
any help would be appreciated.

Back