• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I think I've decided

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelC

I received my VP1 plans the other day and after looking them over and doing a lot of surfing I've decided to build the Volksplane. I was also considering the Ultracruiser but the VP1 won out for several reasons. For one I feel more comfortable working with wood and have most of the equipment I'll need.

A couple of questions for those who have gone down this road.

1.) Is a place like Aircraft Spruce the only source for the wood materials or is it possible to get aircraft quality woods from other local sources? And if you could, will you save significantly doing so?

2.) As far as engine goes, is the best route (in terms of cost, reliability, performance) to go with a kit from Greatplanes (or others) or look for a used engine and rebuild and modify as needed?

3.) Is it feasible (or common) to have a starter on the engine. According to the info from early on in the VP1's history, they leave the starter off and hand prop. I guess I'd have no problem with it since I've done it many times with my RC planes, just gotta be a LITTLE more careful to stay out of the way of that prop!;)

Mike

Back