• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plywood skins vs glassfibre?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I have been reading Alex Strojnik's excellent book - "Laminar Aircraft Design" - and came across the following:

"The plywood nose covering [ie over nose, backward to possibly the aileron auxiliary spar - my comment] is, if done properly, one of the best skins available to the homebuilder. It is not generally known, but plywood represents by far - repeat: by far the best material for shearing loads considering its weight" (pg 155)

"The today solution would be a thin fibreglass cloth cover that would provide both an outstanding mechanical, chemical and biological protection, as well as produce an outstandingly smooth surface." (pg 156)

If this is the case, I am thinking that I might use aircraft grade plywood for my wing skins.

Does anyone have any experience with this arrangement? Anyone have any views on the suitability of this configuration?

Looking forward to your feedback,
Duncan

Back