• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Door or not to door?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
Guys..

I'm building a "Ragabond" (Roger Manns version), all wood construction. In the "plans", all it says, and all it shows, is the one door cut out on one side....and then all it says is to "make sure all cabanes and supports for the center section are in place and glue is dry before cutting out the door." It doesn't mention anywhere the addition of a door on both sides....which would be nice so I wouldnt get all tangled up in the joysticks, etc.

Question is this: both fuselage/cabin sides are exactly the same. Same bracing, cabanes in the same place, attached well to the front and rear spar carry-through, gusseted the same, etc., all the exactly same on both sides. Cutting out the oposing door wouldn't significantly reduce any structural strength, would it? I mean, cutting through the top longeron seems a dont do it, but then I had to one the other side, so whats the difference? More bracing?? An additional cabane or two some place?

I'm not a structural engineer (obviously huh?), and I'm just not 100% sure I could do it without compromising the structural integrity.....and if ANYBODY knows, you guys will.

Thanks in advance fellas.

John

Back