• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cors-air Fm 345

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senna

The ultralight design I'm building specifies an 18 - 28 hp engine... calling out for a direct drive thrust rating of 120-130 lbs and limiting it to a 180 lb pilot weight OR a reduction drive with a thrust of 150-160 lbs and max pilot weight of 200 lbs. The prototype first flew with the Rotax 277... I'm not certain which redrive it used. The prototype flew extremely well with a 165 lb pilot.

OK... with the Rotax 277 no longer being manufactured I've spent a considerale amount of time surfing the Internet, attempting to match a 2-cycle engine to the ultralight I am in the process of building. After many hours and plenty of GOOGLE searches... I believe I have found a couple of candidates... both of them from an Italian company called JPX Italia CORS-AIR Motors.

The first candidate is... the CORS-AIR M21-Y

•Single cylinder air cooled •Two stroke • 172.5 cc • Electric starter included • Redrive with Poly V belt from 1:1.9 to 1:2.6 • Power 21HP at 7200 RPM • Maximum RPM 7400 RPM • Electronic ignition type CDI with double spark per stroke • Alternator output at 4000 RPm: 14.6 V 8 A • Built-in battery recharge • wt 28lbs

A 21 hp electric start 2 cycle at 28 lbs!!! The reduced weight of this engine and the redrive could overcome the fact that it is at the lower end of the hp called out for on my ultralight. The M21-Y was originally designed for the powered paraglider crowd.

The second candidate engine is the M21-Y's bigger brother... or maybe I should say TWIN brothers!!! The CORS-AIR FM 345

•Horz opposed TWIN cylinder air cooled •Two stroke • 345 cc • Electric starter included • Redrive with Poly V belt 2.5:1 • Power 42HP • Electronic ignition type CDI with double spark per stroke • wt 54lbs

Certainly this engine will have PLENTY of hp and the weight is still less than that of the Rotax 277. I like the idea of having the extra power so this may be the engine of choice. Again this engine was designed for the powered paraglider crowd (Oscar Meschiari is from Italy, a former PPG pilot and manufacturer who was never satisfied with the existing PPG engines available on the market. Being an end user himself, he designed and now manufactures his own engines) but is listed as a light aircraft engine also.

I'll post pics...

Senna

Attachments

• m21-ycors-air2.jpg
    m21-ycors-air2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,437
Last edited:
Back