• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Graphlite™ pultruded carbon fiber rod...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senna

OK... calling this cutting edge may be a slight stretch... but I believe this product will benefit designers and builders alike.

I have been building an ultralight design called the Invader MK IIIB. Well... I have been storing it much longer than I have been building it so it would be more truthful to state I HAD been building this airplane. So what's an Invader MK IIIB you ask??? Well... it's an ultralight design out of the early 80's. Quite advanced for it's time. A fully cantillevered 31' wing when most everything that was flying in the ultralight catagory back then were the lawn chair fabric types. It's a pod and boom pusher with tricycle gear, a V-tail, and fighter-style side contol stick for the aileron/ruddervators. The designer was a Floridian by the name of Nick Leichty. I bought plan set #340 from his now defunct company Ultra Efficient Products, Inc.

I have the fuse pod, boom, and landing gear completed. I had built and completed the center wing section (the outer 12' panels detach), and both main, rear, & aileron spars. I also cut rib sets for both wings.

The stated G-load rating was +3.5 at gross 365lbs. Although I had never heard of any problems with this design... I was always in the back of my mind questioning the integrity of the main spar. Maybe this is what kept me from moving forward and completing and flying this craft.

I retired early and have plenty of free time to indulge myself with hobbies... the computer being one of them. So... I surf the Internet...ALOT! I started reading about the Carbon Dragon (an ultralight sailplane) and that led me to the MARSKE Flying Wing site. I viewed pictures of the construction of Wes Whitehurst's CARBON MONARCH flying wing. The techniques and materials used to build this craft spoke of tremendous strength AND lightness. The use of a product called Graphlite™ carbon rod in the Carbon Monarch's spar caps was of great interest to me.

I found on Jim Marske's site a link to a paper he wrote detailing the virtues of this particular product. Wow! Amazing stuff! I've since incorporated Graphlite™ carbon rods into the upper and lower spar caps of my ultralight Invader and by doing so I've increased (so far only on paper) the G-load to +6. This certainly has given me greater confidence as to the structural strength of the wings. A static load test will be the proof of the pudding.

I guess what makes this cutting edge is the cost of this material. It's certainly within my budget! I not only get the carbon rod, I get a little peace of mind... all at $.57 a foot!!! :D

If you haven't heard of this material... you can find the information here...

http://www.continuo.com/marske/carbon/carbon.htm

Build light... build safe...

Senna
Crooked River Ranch, OR

Last edited:
Back