• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

GN-1 vs. Pietenpol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimHendrix

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I was wondering of anyone could give me the pro's and con's of building from Grega GN-1 plans vs. Pietenpol?

About four years ago I bought a set of GN-1 plans and have finished the tail section and about half the ribs. Since then I have changed jobs(furloughed), moved, and added another daughter to the family( three girls). So needless to say, the project has been on hold.

Now that things have settled down, I have my new shop in order, and I am ready to start back again.

I originally went with the GN-1 plans because I liked the look of the J-3 gear, and cowl. Also the airfoil was changed slightly to make the stall more docile(as claimed by Grega). I also was encouraged by DJ Vegh's website, which was a wealth of info. Since then, RJ Grega has stopped selling the plans, and DJ has sold his project.

I have an older gentleman who has built numerous homebuilts in the past 40 years. He is a great craftsman, and has been my mentor on this project. He just finished an RV -10, and has decided to now do some woodworking. He ordered a set of plans for a Piet. So we will be comparing the two.

I know the Pietenpol is the original design, but is there anything wrong with the GN-1? Should I get the Piet plans, and start over? Maybe take the best of both worlds. Regardless, I will still use a J-3 gear and cowl. I also plan on a 85 hp Continental for power. Originally planned to use the Corvair, but I can now afford to go with the certified engine. I have a '65 model Corvair engine, torn down, with lots of parts if anyone is in need of one. (New forged pistons, OT-10 cam).

Sorry for the rant and thanks for any input. This website is a great source of info, and I look forward to being a part of it.

Thanks Again,

Tim Hendrix
Rockport, IN

Back