• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

scarf joint/half lap joint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
Hey guys...

Last night I was laying out my fuselage longerons, verticals, etc., etc., on the table. I'm going to have to join a 12 foot long, 3/4 X 3/4 piece of spruce to another shorter piece (still 3/4 X 3/4). The plans show the area "where to scarf joint" (the longerons) if the builder has to, but I started thinking about the half lap joints that I've used in all kinds of different applications, (from cabinet doors to 2X4 gates) and was wondering if a half lap would be as strong and have the same structural integrity as a scarf joint.

If I took, say the last 8 inches of each 3/4 x 3/4 piece, dado'd them down to 3/8, marked and placed 2 or 3 one inch joining biscuts, glued it up good with T-88......hell, that'd work, wouldn't it? I'd feel comfortable with it, but I'm no strustural engineer, and wouldn't even begin to know where to start with numbers and stuff. Maybe it's a bad idea.....thats why I'm asking you experts here!! (just call me okie from muskogee)

John

Back