• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

U/L Squawk Code

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
I was on my way home from one private strip to another in my ultralight, called "Lucky 2". This is an open cockpit plane with no electrical system, just a hand held radio.

On a whim, I decided to land at San Angelo, TX (SJT) where there is a control tower in Class D air space. I am a private pilot, so communications were no big deal. I had ATIS, Approach, Tower, and Ground frequencies programmed into my radio, and had memorized the airport diagram.

Ultralight regulations are different than what most "real" airplane pilots think. U/Ls are not allowed to fly over congested areas of cities, towns, or settlements at any altitude, with no exceptions... even if we have ATC clearance, nor for landing or take off. U/Ls are not allowed into Class D airspace without ATC clearance. I had phoned the tower months previous, and was told that the controllers can't really refuse U/Ls, but touch and goes would not be allowed.

The straight in approach, for the active runway 18, was over the city, so I came in on a dogleg from the NNW to avoid neighborhoods. As I neared the Class D boundary, I called the tower, "Ultralight Lucky 2, 5 miles north for landing at 2,600' with Charlie."

I didn't get a reply, so I waited for another break and called in again. The tower called back, "Ultralight Lucky 2, squawk 3420." I was trying not to laugh as I replied, "Lucky 2, negative transponder." He came back with, "Ultralight Lucky 2, state aircraft type."

Now I was starting to crack up. U/Ls don't have type codes. So I replied, "Lucky 2 is experimental ultralight, part one zero three." He replied with a very skeptical sounding, "Okay."

After communicating with a couple other aircraft, the controller called me again, "Lucky 2, I don't see you on approach for runway one eight. Are you sure you're coming in from the north?" Obviously the controller hadn't studied Part 103, and didn't realize I was having to circumnavigate neighborhoods. I replied, "I'm a little northwest." He came back with "Okay I've got you. Lucky 2 cleared to land." By that time, I was laughing out loud.

Back