• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Swapping cloth covering for wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBarron

Looking at the Loehle 5151 wood frame/cloth covered plane, I've seen several people cover the wings and fuselage with 1/16" (or slightly thicker) plywood. I'm sure some do it because they prefer that look to fabric stretched over the frame but does it also strengthen the structure so the Vne and cruise speeds can be increased? The difference in weight - cloth vs wood and fiberglass - ranged from 30 to 60 lbs for those who commented about it, a lot of wood, so does it significantly increase the structural integrity or is it just a circular case where the added weight requires a more solid structure so the two offset? Or is this a case of "it's impossible to say" so you just go do a new stress analysis on the "new" design? (or don't fly any faster than what the original plane was designed for).

I don't own a 5151, I'm just curious about what that type of change would do (other than add weight).

Back