• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cog Belt Rotary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cootflyer

I have flown a cog belt rotary and and a regular direct drive aircraft motor (sisterships)and I can tell you that the rotary was alot smoother running.
As for a cog belt psru and runtime Ken Welter puts about 200 hrs on the belt and installs a new one.
The belt does help dampen the pulsation affect so you dont need a dampener it is true the belt is taking more abuse than a conventional motor but they now have kevlar belted and its stronger than steel
Ken has also put NOS on his plane with no ill affect to the belt drive
(Ken flies a Molt Taylor Coot flying boat the NOS is to pop it out of the water)
My plane will be a rotary belted psru 2.95-1 reduction

Back